Posted by lost on June 19, 2009, 2:53 pm
I would bring a strong magnet next to the alternator case while it's
running. This should magnetize the stator and enable it to produce
electricity. Many older gennys required "flashing the field". Most newer
ones don't. You can make a simple electromagnet out of a piece of iron,
wire, and a car battery. Don't make your connections directly to battery;
sparks don't ya know!
Posted by Ralph Mowery on June 19, 2009, 4:29 pm
Have you actually tried this ?
Posted by You on June 19, 2009, 10:22 pm
It isn't the Stator that needs Flashing.... and you fon't do it with a
Magnet, from the outside of the case...... "lost" is just that...
"Ulysses" is at least on the right track.... as he say don't let the
"Magic smoke out".....
"Tim" gets it, a bit, but most cars these days have Alternators with PM
Cores that don't ever require a Flash.... Ignition Light or not....
Harashana, nice guess, would you like to try for what is behind Door No.
3???? The Field Coil on the OP Gensets is Rotating, just how would you
suggest he stick that magnet in there, while it is running....
Martin has a Clue... good for him....
Richard is a Dufus. of the First Order....
and "You", that is "Me", will go with the other comments from that dude
Posted by Winston on June 19, 2009, 10:38 pm
Do we know why the residual magnetization fades relatively
quickly? Is the generator close to a transformer or largish
motor which tends to demag the 'field' metal?
(How'm I doing, "You"?)
Posted by Tim Jackson on June 20, 2009, 10:02 am
True but irrelevant. The particular generator in question obviously has
no such technology. Or are you suggesting that the OP should fit a PM
rotor to his genny? Even a small permanent magnet in the rotor to
ensure some residual field would probably cure it, but I don't recommend
it as a DIY project.
My key point was that feeding in the current through some sort of
resistance such as a light bulb allows you to excite the field safely,
running or not. The danger with directly connecting a battery is that
it is likely that the the field circuit does not normally operate at the
same voltage as the battery, and so there is a risk that either it will
overheat, or it will back feed into the regulator and damage that, or
that when generating starts (if it is running) it will pump large
currents into the battery and overheat something that way. Connecting
above the regulator and using a limited current avoids these problems.
At worst you blow the bulb.