Posted by George Ghio on October 19, 2005, 7:46 am
They probably did. That's part of the trouble, anything lost cannot be
replaced. But the charger keeps charging.
No safety plug.
Posted by Vaughn on October 19, 2005, 10:19 am
(excessive x-posting removed)
I have come to the conclusion that your average consumer UPS has a terrible
charging circuit. (At this point, this can only be classed as a deep suspicion
because actual circuit information on these units seems to be unobtainable.)
It is a true shame, because a few cents worth of components could double
the life of the unit and make it considerably more efficient.
Posted by Too_Many_Tools on October 19, 2005, 2:14 pm
"I have come to the conclusion that your average consumer UPS has a
charging circuit. (At this point, this can only be classed as a deep
because actual circuit information on these units seems to be
It is a true shame, because a few cents worth of components could
the life of the unit and make it considerably more efficient. "
I would agree with you from what I have seen. As others have pointed
out, I think the design criteria is for building a CHEAP unit and to
coerce the buyer into buying the next UPS as soon as possible.
When I examined the UPSs, it was evident that pennies were saved by the
manufacturer that cost the user money later which included the unit
Perhaps UPSs need to be rated for longevity...instead of initial cost
I also am thinking that an auxillary circuit could be placed between
the UPS and the batteries to monitor and prevent overcharging?
Posted by Pete C on October 20, 2005, 10:21 pm
On 19 Oct 2005 07:14:40 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
Just put a chunky diode between UPS and battery to block charge
current to the battery from the UPS, but allow current from the
battery on mains failure. Then use a normal SLA charger on the UPS
Or use a diode as above and a string of smaller diodes the other way
to drop the charge voltage down to a sensible level.
Posted by Steve Spence on October 19, 2005, 1:28 pm
overheating, over charging. we had the ac fail in our data center over
the weekend, and the telephone tattletale failed to call out. Room temp
was 150F when we showed up for work on monday. batteries burst, acid on
the floor, backup tapes destroyed by heat and acid fumes, servers dead,
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org
Contributing Editor, http://www.off-grid.net