Hybrid Car – More Fun with Less Gas

eeked out another 8 volts on the hydro

register ::  Login Password  :: Lost Password?
Posted by z on October 18, 2008, 12:01 am
 
Doing a little tuning now that winter is here.

Starting with the connections I used a larger T on the 1-1/2 inch line
and then stepped down to the 3/4ths at the last possible section before
the nozzles.  Also took apart all the connections and dremmeled out the
steps to help a smooth transition between sizes, rather than having hard
edges going from like 1-1/2 inch to 1 inch and then to 3/4 ths -- kind of
like you would to port and polish an intake manifold for an engine.

I'm still trying to get a large Wye rather than a T.  I have access to a
fire hose Wye but making the quarter turn connection (wildland
firefighting) to NTP is somewhat difficult.  Also saving up my pennies to
move to two inch rather than inch and a half, which should nearly double
my output according to the math.  Its not cheap though..  so I might hold
off on the wye biz till I upgrade the main pipe.

Also moved the nozzles as close as I could get to the pelton wheel
without hitting it.. I'm getting around 40 volts open running where as
before I'd get maybe 30-32.  Now i just need to redesign the brakets to
keep it aimed better, but i'm getting ready for some serious rain.

Still can only run it about 10 hours a day now.. come the RAIN!

cheers

-zachary

btw: here is the system http://www.homebrewhydro.com  but its a bit
outdated

Posted by Vaughn Simon on October 18, 2008, 12:16 am
 


   Good deal!  It has been fun watching you gradually make your system work.
How much charge current are you getting?

Vaughn



Posted by z on October 18, 2008, 12:36 am
 

Thanks.  Once again this group has been a HUGE help .. so kudos to you
guys.

It charges at around 17.5 volts with the older setup.  I've not put it
under load yet with the new modifications because I really need to figure
out the brackets.  The old one used those copper flex tubes to make the
nozzles stable, but now those are gone (I think thats the largest factor
in the improvement as they were corrugated and probably caused all kinds
of turbulance and resistance) so its kind of rigged half assed for
testing.  I've got these lid hinges that should let me move the nozzle
assembly through an arc and then turn a screw in the slider part to set
it at just the right angle.

in theory anyway :)

Once those are on i'll be able to read the voltage, and fiddle with the
angles till it reads as high as I can get it then clamp down.

in theory

right now i've got them on with bungie cords etc so i don't dare run it
very long .. just for testing.

But i'm pretty jazzed with the results.  now to just make them more
permanent

cheers

-zachary


Posted by z on October 18, 2008, 1:22 am
 

NO.. i'm smoking crack.  That was when my multi-meter battery was dying.  
It charges at the battery bank voltage from what I can tell


Posted by Bob F on October 18, 2008, 1:01 am
 

If you already have the 1 1/2" pentstock, you could add another for less losses,
rather than replacing the whole thing. This could eliminate the Wye, also.

For the Wye, they might make such a part for built-in vacuum systems.

PVC pipe can be bent when it is heated, and perhaps even stretched to smaller
diameters for nozzles.



This Thread
Bookmark this thread:
 
 
 
 
 
 
  •  
  • Subject
  • Author
  • Date
please rate this thread