Hybrid Car – More Fun with Less Gas

opinions on my off-grid system - Page 6

register ::  Login Password  :: Lost Password?
Posted by mike on January 11, 2014, 8:08 am
On 1/10/2014 2:54 PM, Johny B Good wrote:

This is a quote from your link:
Since the 1950s chemical additives have been used to reduce lead sulfate  
build up on plates and improve battery condition when added to the  
electrolyte of a vented lead?acid battery.
Such treatments are rarely, if ever, effective.

So, can you be more specific about what is 'bleeding obvious'???

I like to keep an open mind.
I've got a dead motorcycle battery.
And it's gonna rain an inch tonite, so I'll put out a bucket.
Sounds like an experiment brewing.

I would like a clarification on:
 >>> 4 parts of distilled or rain water
 >>> 1 part epson salt

That by volume?

Wanna get it right so I don't screw up the experiment.

I'll report back in 3 days if the motorcycle starts.

Posted by Johny B Good on January 11, 2014, 11:48 am

 I was just pointing out that the OP (originally posting as nick6052
then morphing straight into Nick Amoto) could have found answers if
he'd thought to do a search using the phrase "lead acid battery" to
lead him to the wikipedia and other articles on the subject of
'reviving' lead acid batteries.

 I can't answer that one since I never made any suggestions about
battery care other than to provide a link to the wikipedia page.

 You could always try bump starting the bike (I've assumed it's one
not blessed with a 'Kickstart'). It's surprising how often this will
work in helping to revive a 'flat battery' but it does assume a
recently flattened battery rather than one that's been dead for over 6

 The epsom salts trick can help, provided the only reason for the
failure is simple sulphation rather than any of the other failure
mechanisms that might apply. You won't restore it completely but it's
a solution that can usefully extend the service life on the basis of
"It's better to have half a loaf than none at all".
Regards, J B Good

Posted by mike on January 11, 2014, 12:42 pm
 On 1/11/2014 3:48 AM, Johny B Good wrote:

I'm sure you can come up with circumstances where that's true.
But if the motorcycle won't start, that ain't one of them.

I don't know who's who, but somebody posted a procedure with
the implication that it would fix bad batteries.
I think it's crap, but I do have an open mind and a battery I can
use for verification...and it's raining too hard to do much outside.

I pulled the battery out of the shed, topped it off with water.
I'm charging it.
I'll measure the resistance as the control.
Replace the electrolyte.
Charge it.
Measure the resistance again.
Only problem is finding the epsom salts...should be around here somewhere.

But, let's back up.
Can someone tell me that they've actually used the salts to replace
the entire electrolyte and it recovered 50-90% of the capacity?
I'm not gonna do what I estimate is a worthless experiment
because someone's brother had a friend who read something about it
I want someone to tell me that they, personally did it and measured
the results with real meters.

Posted by Nick Amato on January 11, 2014, 3:38 pm
 I have Googled and youtubed for quite a long time.... thats mostly how i ca
me up with what i have so far... and honestly there are a million different
 opinions and ways to do things.  I haven't read that specific Wikipedia ar
ticle but have seen ones like it.  The reason why I like to ask here is bec
ause real people have actually done it and can say for sure if it really do
es or does not work.  Some people say battery additives work, others don't.
.. my thought is I like to get my advice and opinions on ideas from real pe
ople whenever possible.  And I have no idea what caused my name to change..
  I'll fix that

Posted by Jim Wilkins on January 11, 2014, 4:47 pm
My experiments suggest that the resistance that matters can be  
measured as voltage drop and recovery when the battery is nearly  
discharged. For example one that I tested recovered from 10V to ~11.5V  
after the inverter load shut itself off.

A DC-AC inverter is a convenient test load because it has a low  
voltage shut off to protect the battery and you can adjust the power  
by plugging in 120V heaters, light bulbs, soldering irons etc. My  
crock pot draws 70W or 100W and doesn't get hot enough to accidentally  
burn me or wires that touch it.

This Thread
Bookmark this thread:
  • Subject
  • Author
  • Date
please rate this thread