Posted by Chris Shearer Cooper on October 30, 2005, 3:32 pm
Just bought us a nice shiny new (2005) Prius, golly it's a purty car.
(not sure why I'm talking like this, sometimes the mood just hits me).
Coupla questions fer ya ...
1) The nice man what sold it to us, recommended we rotate them tires every
2500 miles. Is he barking up my tree backwards?
2) What about this 3M plastic film he wants to put on the nose. Worth the
$79 he charges? Should I shop around?
3) Any way to shut off that god-awful "you're in reverse" panic-sounding
beep? Or at least make it less annoying?
Posted by Michelle Steiner on October 30, 2005, 4:29 pm
If he's offering to do it for free, I would think it's OK. Toyota
recommends rotating the tires every 5,000 miles, though.
Shop around. I know some people who swear by that film, and others who
don't think it's necessary.
Reversing Beep On/Off:
1. Power on or IG-ON
2. Set Trip/ODO to ODO
3. Power off.
4. Power on to ready (brake on).
5. Within 6 seconds, press and hold ODO for 10 seconds or more.
6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO, *after* 10 seconds,
Shift from P to R, then back to P. Now release ODO.
7. You'll see in the trip display "b on" or "b off".
8. Press ODO to toggle.
9. Now power off.
And if you want to turn off the seat belt beep. (It helps if you have
someone to help you with this; you have only two hands.) Steps 1
through 5, and 7 through 9 are the same as above; and step 6 is similar.
Seatbelt Beep On/Off:
1. Power on the car to IG-ON or READY.
2. Using the Trip/ODO button, set the Trip/ODO display to ODO (not Trip
A or Trip B)
3. Power off the car.
4. Now power the car to READY (brake on).
5. Within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button
for 10 seconds or more.
6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the 10 seconds, buckle then unbuckle
the appropriate seatbelt while continuing to depress the Trip/ODO
button. Now release the Trip/ODO button.
7. If the last step was successful, "b on" or "b off" should be
displayed in the location where the Trip Odometer or Odometer is
normally displayed. "b on" is beep on, and "b off" is beep off.
8. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode.
9. Now power the car off to exit the toggle mode.
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
Posted by Bill on October 30, 2005, 4:29 pm
Why not do that at 5000 miles when you have the oil changed?
I don't know about the price but I've had a hell of time getting the bug
splat off the nose of my Prius.
Posted by Mike Rosenberg on October 30, 2005, 4:44 pm
Well, Toyota says 5000 miles, which is simple because it coincides with
the recommended oil changes. I've never heard of rotating tires more
frequently than that.
<http://www.macconsult.com> Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
<http://bogart-tribute.net> Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius