Hybrid Car – More Fun with Less Gas

Undercoating - Page 2

register ::  Login Password  :: Lost Password?
Posted by Michael Pardee on September 1, 2005, 12:37 am
 

I no longer wear my wedding ring (with the concurrence of my wife) because
of a series of accidents that started with getting it between a wrench and
the hot terminal of the battery and ended with it lacerating my finger all
the way around both edges of the ring.

But I don't think you have anything to fear from the Prius HV wiring. IIRC,
they are coaxial arrangements with ground on the "shield" but none of the HV
system grounded.

When I was 14 I got across a 300 volt DC power supply with excellent contact
at the palm of each hand (helping a friend work on a console tube-type
radio). It was a memorable experience, but I lived to tell the story. I even
survived a momentary contact from the fingertips on one hand to the
fingertips on the other with an 800 volt transmitter power supply. It just
hurt and burned pits in my fingertips. Still, keep the fingers away. The
electrical gods hate to be toyed with.

Mike



Posted by Hachiroku on September 17, 2005, 11:37 pm
 
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:52:16 -0400, Paul Missman wrote:


Good warning. The real fact is, the Prius has 278 volts available, with a
150 Amp fuse guarding the system. If you figure they put in 15-20 amps
overhead, that's approx 130 amps. That's approx 37,000 watts, or a
coversion to about 55 HP.

There are VERY specific procedures to dealing with these cars. You cannot
stress enough, DON'T MESS WITH IT! Especially the Orange wire. Trying to
disconnectr the High Voltage supply that will cause an arc, ruining the
car and possibly killing the person doing the 'work'.

The tech at the dealership I work with dresses up like he's going to work
on the Power Transmission lines. Always the gloves, 3 pairs of 'em, and
sometimes a heavy rubber apron.

And if you need to charge the 12V ICE battery, you're OK. DO NOT try to
charge anyhthing else in the car. There is a special charger used to
charge the rechargables and needs to be connected properly.



Posted by dbs__usenet on September 17, 2005, 11:06 pm
 
The DC high voltage is fused right at the battery, so any shorts would
disconnect it immediately.  In less than a second.   The voltage is only
DC, so even if you did manage to get into that part of the car without
blowing the fuse and touched the ground an hot at the same time, you'd
simply get a shock that would cause you to recoil.  No heart stopping
trauma, no fatal injuries, just a burn mark on one hand.

Daniel

Posted by Michael Pardee on September 17, 2005, 11:38 pm
 
In fact, the HV system is isolated from ground, so a shock will occur only
when there is a short and you contact the other side of the battery at the
same time.

Mike



Posted by Paul Missman on September 18, 2005, 3:12 am
 
This is a good thing.  It reduces the chance of getting a nasty schok.  It
also prevents a simple fault from applying the 500 volt battery accross the
12 volt battery.  That much energy into the 12 volt would probably boil off
the 12 volt battery in no time.  (In addition to destroying the 12 volt
electrical system components.)




This Thread
Bookmark this thread:
 
 
 
 
 
 
  •  
  • Subject
  • Author
  • Date
---> Re: Undercoating richard schumac...08-31-2005
please rate this thread