Hybrid Car – More Fun with Less Gas

traction control on a Prius - Page 4

register ::  Login Password  :: Lost Password?
Posted by stratus46 on August 28, 2008, 3:10 pm
 
<snip>
 >
 > Right. It makes so much more sense to sit there and spin your
wheels when
 > you don't have traction. This way the people behind you will
understand why
 > you are at a standstill.  Of course, they will also know you
outfit your
 > car with crummy tires.

Well, it was very modest acceleration around a right turn but with a
wet spot from sprinklers. The crummy tires are the originals.

My point is if an American manufacturer made those choices  the buyers
would be justifiably unhappy. Why do people make excuses when a
Japanese manufacturer screws up?

G


Posted by Was Istoben on August 28, 2008, 6:47 pm
 

<snip>
 >
 > Right. It makes so much more sense to sit there and spin your
wheels when
 > you don't have traction. This way the people behind you will
understand why
 > you are at a standstill. Of course, they will also know you
outfit your
 > car with crummy tires.

Well, it was very modest acceleration around a right turn but with a
wet spot from sprinklers. The crummy tires are the originals.

My point is if an American manufacturer made those choices  the buyers
would be justifiably unhappy. Why do people make excuses when a
Japanese manufacturer screws up?

G

When I remove my crummy tires in favor of my winter tires this November the
traction problem will completely disappear.  For all I know, both sets are
made in China.  These Goodyear tires that come on the Prius, are they unique
to Japanese vehicles?




Posted by stratus46 on August 28, 2008, 7:23 pm
 

 Was Istoben wrote:
 <snip>
 > Well, it was very modest acceleration around a right turn but with
a
 > wet spot from sprinklers. The crummy tires are the originals.
 >
 > My point is if an American manufacturer made those choices  the
buyers
 > would be justifiably unhappy. Why do people make excuses when a
 > Japanese manufacturer screws up?
 >
 > G
 >
 > When I remove my crummy tires in favor of my winter tires this
November the
 > traction problem will completely disappear.  For all I know, both
sets are
 > made in China.  These Goodyear tires that come on the Prius, are
they unique
 > to Japanese vehicles?

At 5000 miles I got a nail in the sidewall so the tire needed
replacement. The orignals all say made in Japan. The replacement
bought in California says made in USA and appears to be identical.

I'm glad your problem goes away but the car should do _something_
better than 'play dead' when it gets wheel slip.

G

Posted by Was Istoben on August 28, 2008, 8:59 pm
 


 Was Istoben wrote:
 <snip>
 > Well, it was very modest acceleration around a right turn but with
a
 > wet spot from sprinklers. The crummy tires are the originals.
 >
 > My point is if an American manufacturer made those choices  the
buyers
 > would be justifiably unhappy. Why do people make excuses when a
 > Japanese manufacturer screws up?
 >
 > G�
 >
 > When I remove my crummy tires in favor of my winter tires this
November the
 > traction problem will completely disappear.  For all I know, both
sets are
 > made in China.  These Goodyear tires that come on the Prius, are
they unique
 > to Japanese vehicles?

At 5000 miles I got a nail in the sidewall so the tire needed
replacement. The orignals all say made in Japan. The replacement
bought in California says made in USA and appears to be identical.

I'm glad your problem goes away but the car should do _something_
better than 'play dead' when it gets wheel slip.



Precisely what will happen when a wheel slips depends so much on the
situation it is impossible to generalize.  I can remember situations where
my car slid sideways into the ditch with the wheel spinning..  At speed and
in a curve, a powered, slipping wheel may be worse than one without power.
I know how frustrating it is to sit on an incline with the pedal to the
metal and the engine shut down.  That hasn't happened since I started using
snow/ice tires.  I'm having trouble faulting Toyota for this since it does
as well on snow and ice as other cars I've owned, better than some, and very
well within it's clearance limitation and with tires appropriate to the road
surface.



This Thread
Bookmark this thread:
 
 
 
 
 
 
  •  
  • Subject
  • Author
  • Date
please rate this thread