Hybrid Car – More Fun with Less Gas

Photovoltaic cell efficiency question.

register ::  Login Password  :: Lost Password?
Posted by gary0232 on March 9, 2009, 4:17 am
 
If current pv efficiencies are 18% where does the other 82% go. I'm sure the
answer is reflection and heat, but I was curious about the percentages. It
appears most of the sunlight just reflects off those shiny surfaces.


Posted by Eeyore on March 9, 2009, 11:40 am
 


gary0232 wrote:


Some reflects but plenty will turn into heat which sadly reduces the efficiency
of the panel.

Graham



Posted by KTo on March 9, 2009, 4:19 pm
 

Hay Gary,
about 10% of the 82% is reflected, the other 70% is turned into heat.
On a good sunny day the temperature of the solar panel will be as high as
80C.
cheers
Kees


Posted by gary0232 on March 10, 2009, 5:31 am
 I wonder if anyone thought to modify the panel so water going to your hot
water heater could flow across the underside of the panel.
Not only would this same on your hot water heater costs, you would be
increasing the efficiency of your pv's by keeping them cool.




Posted by Eeyore on March 10, 2009, 8:27 pm
 

gary0232 wrote:


Just forget the PV solar bit and use solar thermal to heat your water.

Graham


This Thread
Bookmark this thread:
 
 
 
 
 
 
  •  
  • Subject
  • Author
  • Date
please rate this thread