Posted by Steve on April 11, 2006, 5:21 pm
I'm assuming that's what this is...
My father-in-law's house had a solar system installed in the mid-70s,
which never worked properly. The panels are long gone, but the plumbing
and storage tank remain. As far as I can tell the system had a double
tank, with the inner tank being house water and the outer tank being
part of the solar circuit. The tank is uninsulated steel and thus has
pretty much no value. We'd like to get rid of the tank because it's
taking up a large amount of needed space.
I was able to drain the water from the inner tank into the ground by
hooking a hose to it and running it to a corner of the basement which
was left open for sewer drain access; however, the solar circulation
loop apparently is filled with some sort of (clear) anti-freeze. I have
no idea how much there is. What's the easiest way to get rid of this
stuff? I'm assuming just dumping it into the ground or the sewer system
would be a Bad Thing.
The house is located on Long Island, if that information is meaningful.
Please post to the groups; this email address is dead.
Posted by Travis Jordan on April 11, 2006, 8:52 pm
It's probably glycol, which was commonly used in the dual-chamber heat
exchangers back in the 70s.
Does LI have any consumer recycling centers that take household waste?
If so you may be able to dispose of it there.
Posted by Antipodean Bucket Farmer on April 11, 2006, 10:59 pm
Try a car repair garage. They have to dispose of similar stuff
all the time. They might charge you a few dollars.
Check The Free Stuff List
Posted by trader4 on April 13, 2006, 12:41 pm
Some areas now have hazardous household waste disposal services at the
county or state level. Here in NJ, Mon cty has just such a facility
and they take antifreeze, solvents, oil, paint, herbicides, etc. I'd
look in the county govt listings and call the closest agency, maybe
health dept, if nothing else.
If you can figure out what it is, it may not be harmful. There are
antifreezes for winterizing water systems that are non-toxic and I
would think there is a good chance that is the type that would have
been used, not car antifreeze. But unless you are sure, better to
dispose of it properly.
You could also try to take it to a car service type place, but they may
be unwilling to take some unknown substance.
Posted by DJ on April 16, 2006, 3:27 pm
Bought a fresh barrel from my supplier the other day, "Solar2"
Propylene Glycol, and it's "transmission fluid red" now. But still with
the non-tox labelling.
Still tastes the same, though ;-).
Likely 5 gallons or less.
Yep. Go to Home Depot, buy a bucket and lid, put it in that, label it
ANTIFREEZE, and bring it to the next hazardous waste disposal day in
your area, where folks get rid of car batteries, old paint cans, that
kind of thing.
Now, if it is REALLY proplylene glycol, it's not hazardous, but you
don't know that for a fact, so you have to assume the worst.